Tuesday 6 April 2010

Goodwood GRRC Spring Sprint

It was a pretty busy Easter weekend in the end. Lost for things to do on Monday, Alys had a quick look online and we found an event at Goodwood, near Chichester in West Sussex. It was free, which is always a good start, and a motor racing event which is something I've never tried to photograph before.

The event was the GRRC (Goodwood Road Racing Club) Spring Sprint April 5th 2010 and it was an excellent day out. They had a real mix of cars ranging from a 1907 Wolseley-Siddeley Coppa Florio racer to the latest Lotus 2 Eleven. I couldn't find much out about it online except here on this forum;


I started of with my Minolta Beercan (70-210) expecting not to be able to get very close to the action but eventually found a spot just after the starting grid where I could stand right behind the tyre wall. This was a lot closer, and at track level so I was able to put the Sigma 24-70 EX DG back on the Sony and get testing the limits of the auto focus on my Sony Alpha 200.


I was trying to get a feeling of movement in the pictures so used a shutter speed of 160-200, set the iso to 100 and stopped the lens down to f11. Even at this setting the background isn't as blurred as I would like but I might have a little play in photoshop later this week and see if I can't do something about that.

Very excitingly I spotted the GT40 and an AC Cobra there along with some classic 80's touring cars and even two Teslas which I wasn't expecting to see.

We were allowed to have a walk around the paddock as well, in fact the whole day was really relaxed and friendly which is credit to the organisers and club members. This allowed me to get up close to the cars and take some more abstract and detailed pictures of them. If i'm honest, I think I was in safer territory taking detailed photos because that's what I tend to do when photographing weddings and I'm a little happier with these. This also means that I need to get myself out to a similar event soon and try to take some more action pictures to develop what I learnt from the GRRC event.

Glorious Goodwood is on the way and there are bound to be a few more motor racing events (including the Festival of Speed and The Revival!) so next time I'll see what I can do with an even slower shutter speed.

Two of the better pictures that suit the size format of my website will go on there;


All of the pictures I'm happy with will go on the Edward Bryan Photography Facebook page;








No comments:

Post a Comment